Friday, June 7, 2019

Acceptance: Juniper - A Poetry Journal

Ahem, and speaking of poetry: I got word this week that my poem, "Saudade", also from the new manuscript in progress, has been accepted for the upcoming summer issue of Juniper - A Poetry Journal. This new-ish online magazine has been rocking it lately, publishing works by such versifying luminaries as Lorna Crozier, Catherine Graham and Molly Peacock.

For those of you who don't know, "Saudade" is a Portuguese term for a rather hard-to-pin-down emotion, a state of melancholic nostalgia, a feeling of loss for something you never actually had; I basically think of it as "a longing for a longing." It was one of the ten-dollar words that didn't make it into my 2017 novel The Slip (a book that I am, Lord love me, tentatively referring to as the first Philip Sharpe novel -eep!) but I thought it would make an excellent basis for a poem. Juniper agreed and will be running it soon. I'll share more details about that when I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment