Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mohawk College

I'm off this evening to give a reading/talk to a creative writing class at Mohawk College in Hamilton. The class is taught by poet Adam Getty, who has published two superb collections of verse, Reconciliation and Repose, both with Nightwood Editions. I met Adam when we did a reading together about two years ago and we hit it off. Since then, he's asked me to come in to do a reading and lecture for his students each semester or so.

My talk is ostensibly about characterization: I read the scene from Off Book involving Pauline and the turkey (you all remember the one, right?) and also make references to works by A.L. Kennedy and Philip Roth, examples of good characters and good ideas about characterization. But usually the talk shifts and expands to encompass whatever the students are interested in talking about. Adam has promised me a small but enthusiastic class tonight, and I'm looking forward to it. Wish me luck.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment