Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Publication: David Helwig - Essays on His Work


David Helwig: Essays on His WorksI was very happy today to open up the mailbox and find my contributor's copies of the new anthology, David Helwig: Essays on His Work, published by Guernica Editions as part of its Essential Writers series. My contribution to the book is a reprint of an essay on Helwig's 1976 novel, The Glass Knight, which I published in Canadian Notes & Queries back in 2011. This new anthology's editor, Ingrid Ruthig, wrote asking if I'd be willing to expand the essay a bit and include it in the book, which I was happy to do. The anthology also includes pieces by rob mclennan, Shane Neilson, Douglas Glover and others.
I first encountered Helwig's work when I reviewed his novel The Time of Her Life for Halifax Sunday Herald way back in 2000, and have read and enjoyed several of his other works since then. David is a prolific writer of some 40+ books and one of Canada's truly under-appreciated authors. He writes across genres and forms, having published novels, poetry collections, short story collections, novellas and nonfiction titles. I also consider him a friend: he is a member of what I affectionately call "the PEI Writers Mafia," a group of authors on Prince Edward Island I often get together with when I'm home visiting.


Regular readers of this blog will know this is the second essay I've published recently in a Guernica Editions Essential Writers anthology. I also published a piece on J.J. Steinfeld (another PEI Writers Mafia member) in the press's essay collection on his work, published last year.

I strongly advise checking out both of these books and these writers when you can.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment