Monday, March 2, 2015

How much did I love Under the Visible Life, by Kim Echlin?

Well, to find out you could read my Quill & Quire review of this new novel, wherein I turn phrases like "[this book] delivers a clinic on how to conjure emotions readers didn’t even know they had" and "as powerful as any depicted in fiction" and "This book is nothing short of a masterpiece."

Or you could check out this humorous exchange that erupted last week on Twitter between Quill & Quire reviews editor Steven Beattie, Globe Books editor Mark Medley, and myself:

























Or you you just got out and pick up a copy of Under the Visible Life and see for yourself. Reading this novel in advance of its release, I felt like I was let in on a delicious secret that the rest of the world is going to wake up to very shortly. Few books have affected me in a way that this one has. It is a devastating portrait of two friends and the lengths they go to liberate their own creative agency. Simone de Beauvior once wrote that it is better to be free than to be happy, and this novel lives those words on every page. Do yourself a favour and give it a read.

M.
PS: Apologies for the radio silence here on the blog for the last few weeks. In my defence, I've been re-reading Middlemarch. More on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment